This week Manchester Metrolink celebrates its 30th anniversary. The largest light rail system in the UK, Metrolink, has gone from strength to strength, and we are proud to have played our part in its growth and contribution to Greater Manchester.
Over the last thirty years or so, we are proud to have supported Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) and its predecessor Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive (GMPTE), including:
- Making the case and securing the powers for the Airport extension, the first use of the Transport & Works Act Order for a light-rail project
- Helping develop the Ashton extension, make the case and secure its powers
- Making the case for the Oldham/ Rochdale extension
- Helping secure funding for these ‘Phase 3’ extensions
- Supporting the case for the Second City Crossing and, most recently, Trafford Park Line
- Supporting TfGM on its Metrolink fares policy, ticket retailing and revenue protection for the system
- Leading the procurement of an operator/maintainer through the specification and evaluation of bid plans
- Supporting mobilisation of the Metrolink Team post the original concession and advising on contract management
- Seconding people into the TFGM’s Metrolink organisation
We continue to work with TfGM and the Manchester councils to develop proposals for the next stages of Metrolink’s expansion and work with TfGM on their post-pandemic actions.